Tuesday, February 19, 2008

PowerSQL

Don’t be the last person on the planet to download the PowerSQL beta at http://www.embarcadero.com/powersqlbeta/ . I am very excited about this product I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has been involved in making this project a success past and present. A lot of people have left their signatures in the components of this tool. Ultimately it was unbelievable efforts of the current team that has resulted in the product you see today. And what a product it is, there are so many cool features in this product I don’t know where to start. I am going to narrow in on one hard to find feature but heavily requested in our current product line.

SQL Filters can be found by selecting a Data Source, right click Properties and choosing SQL Filters. Or by Windows->Preferences… and choosing SQL Development, SQL Filters. From either place it is fairly simple to add whatever filters you want. You can even make use of like and in operators. These filters are then applied to the SQL used to retrieve data from the data dictionary thus reducing the cost of retrieving information from the server. Don’t be fooled by client side filters that are still network intensive. SQL Filters is a major plus for people working with robust database environments. Honestly if that is even remotely cool to you then you have to check this product out.

As you can see from my links I am going to EclipseCon in March. Incidentally there will be a big PowerSQL announcement then… wonder what that will be? Anyhow if you are going to be at EclipseCon look out for me, would love to meet a single person who has read my blog. Look for the guy with the blackberry… on second thought look at my picture on this blog. Going to EclipseCon and PowerSQL remind me of a late friend. I first brought the PowerSQL then know as the Talon project to Eclipse World back in 05 and showed it to some Eclipse folks with the Product Manager at the time David Ross. Although his stay on PowerSQL was brief he too left a bit of himself in this product, we miss you Dave.

No comments: